Whispers of advertising past are the focus of this walking tour through Stoke Newington, taking in some of London’s best ghostsigns (painted signs, fading on walls). These are used to explore local, craft and advertising history through their unique stories and survival against the odds.
Described as ‘fascinating’ by Londonist, and highly rated on Trip Advisor, the tour will inspire you to start spotting ghostsigns everywhere you go with an appreciation of their history and place in contemporary urban streetscapes.
The tour is led by local resident Sam Roberts, a.k.a. Mr Ghostsigns, curator of the History of Advertising Trust Ghostsigns Archive and author of numerous articles and book contributions on the topic.
The tour costs £12.50 per person and lasts two hours. Advance booking is essential via the links below and future dates (including those for the forthcoming cycling tour) will be announced through the mailing list, Twitter and Facebook. Private tours can be arranged by contacting Sam by email or phone (firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 7989 409 046).
Thursday 4 September, 1.20pm (SOLD OUT)
Sunday 12 October, 1.20pm (Book Now)
Sunday 23 November, 1.20pm (Book Now)
Sunday 14 December, 1.20pm (Book Now)
Sunday 11 January, 1.20pm (Book Now)
Here are some other tours in London and further afield that may also be of interest, with others covered on these past blog posts:
- Stoke Newington Ghostsigns (the virtual prototype that led to the walking tour above)
- Ghostsigns and Public Lettering in Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter
- Type Safaris from Type Tasting (Dalston, London)
- Artouride, street art and architecture by bicycle (various locations, London)
- Derelict London (various locations, London)
- Alternative London, street art, pubs and more (various locations, London)
- Hackney Tours (various locations, Hackney, London)
- Public Lettering in Central London, self-guided (London/online)
- Black Cat Trail, self-guided audio (Clerkenwell, London)
- Mosaic Trail (New York)
- Ghostsigns, self-guided (Louisville)
- Ghostsigns, self-guided (Fort Collins)
- Ghostsigns and Murals, self-guided (Watertown)
- 1,000 Miles of Murals from the Mural Museum (Pontiac to Tucumcari, Route 66)
If you know of one that isn’t listed here then please get in touch so that I can add it.