Whispers of advertising past are the focus of these walking tours through Stoke Newington, and Bankside, taking in some of London’s best ghostsigns (painted signs, fading on walls). These are used to explore local, craft and advertising history through their unique stories and survival against the odds.
Described as ‘fascinating’ by Londonist, and awarded the Certificate of Excellence (2015; 2016; 2017) on Trip Advisor, the tours will inspire you to start spotting ghostsigns everywhere you go with an appreciation of their history and place in contemporary urban streetscapes.
The tours are led by Sam Roberts, a.k.a. Mr Ghostsigns, curator of the History of Advertising Trust Ghostsigns Archive and author of numerous articles and book contributions on the topic.
Tickets, which includes a set of London Ghostsigns postcards, cost £20 per person and the tours last 2-2.5 hours. Private tours can be arranged by contacting Sam by email or phone (email@example.com, +44 7989 409 046).
Terms & Conditions: Once booked, cancellations are only refundable at the tour guide’s discretion, with sufficient notice.
The Ghostsigns Tours App features all of the content from the in-person walks in audio and text formats, with accompanying archival photography. Contemporary photography and google streetview links are also provided for those unable to walk the streets and see the signs in person.
Here are some other tours in London and further afield that may also be of interest, with others covered on these past blog posts:
- Stoke Newington Ghostsigns (the virtual prototype that led to the walking tour above)
- Ghostsigns and Public Lettering in Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter
- Winnipeg Ghostsigns Tours
- Type Safaris from Type Tasting (Dalston, London)
- Artouride, street art and architecture by bicycle (various locations, London)
- Derelict London (various locations, London)
- Alternative London, street art, pubs and more (various locations, London)
- Hackney Tours (various locations, Hackney, London)
- Public Lettering in Central London, self-guided (London/online)
- Black Cat Trail, self-guided audio (Clerkenwell, London)
- Unseen Tours, by London’s homeless (Various locations, London)
- Mosaic Trail (New York)
- Ghostsigns, self-guided (Louisville)
- Ghostsigns, self-guided (Fort Collins)
- Ghostsigns and Murals, self-guided (Watertown)
- 1,000 Miles of Murals from the Mural Museum (Pontiac to Tucumcari, Route 66)
- Bombsites, lost pubs, pie & mash (Plaistow, London)