The 2016 London Design Festival hosted Light Capsules x Ghostsigns, a transatlantic collaboration between Adobe Creative Resident and experiential designer Craig Winslow and Ghostsigns’ Sam Roberts. A series of five site-specific installations brought the city’s ghostsigns back to life through the medium of light. The project was picked up by Creative Review and Fast Co Design, among other media, and coincided with the launch of the Ghostsigns Tours App.
To create the projections, Craig used a variety of techniques to analyse contemporary and archival photographs of the signs. These were then projected at night onto the original signs. The projections allowed the signs to be appreciated as they may once have looked without interfering with them as often happens with painted restorations. The technology employed also allowed multiple layers (‘palimpsests’) to be teased apart and viewed individually.
In the middle of the series of site-specific installations, a blank wall on Great Suffolk Street was commandeered for the purposes of bringing ghostsigns from six continents to London for a virtual world tour. The event was accompanied by a light capsules cocktail created by The Distillery Bankside, and live lettering demonstrations from Mike Meyer who also produced the promotional showcard.
These installations at the London Design Festival were part of an ongoing series being developed and delivered by Craig as part of his Adobe Creative Residency. They were produced by Sam Roberts of Ghostsigns. Thank you to all of the following individuals and organisations that made the project possible through their time and support:
- Everyone that came to see the live installations.
- All those whose photographs featured in the virtual world tour installation (many from the Ghostsigns Calender submissions);
- Mike Marchlewski for the excellent photographic and video documentation;
- Carol J Moir for her beautiful photos of the Stoke Newington palimpsest;
- Projection Artworks for equipment and technical support;
- The Distillery/Hilton Bankside, Popped, Most Art Centre and The Green Room for hosting equipment and guests;
- Mike Meyer Sign Painter for his showcard and ‘live lettering’.
- Southwark Council, Hackney Council, Better Bankside and the Hackney Society for support on permissions, licensing and resident liaison.
See some of the social media responses below, and share any images and video you captured via the following profiles and hashtags.
- Ghostsigns Twitter: @ghostsigns
- Ghostsigns Instagram: @mrghostsigns
- Ghostsigns Facebook: /ghostsigns
- Craig Winslow Twitter: @craigwinslow
- Craig Winslow Instagram: @craigwinslow
- Hashtags: #LightCapsules & #Ghostsigns
— Roy Reed (@RoyReed13) September 17, 2016
— Janet Foster (@JanetJanFoster) September 20, 2016
— The Distillery (@DistilleryBar) September 21, 2016
— Bankside Design (@BanksideDesign) September 22, 2016
— Catherine Dixon (@ThinkingType) September 23, 2016
— carol lioness (@caroljmoir) September 24, 2016
#LightCapsules in a collaboration between @adobe Creative Resident @craigwinslow and @mrghostsigns The and hidden advertising of the past or #ghostsigns were brought to #light in a new and #innovative way that lit up various locations in the capital during #londondesignfestival On the 21st of October 2016, a special series of #projectionmapped Ghostsigns from locations across the world were showcased at @thedistillerybankside after sunset the digitally #restored work revealed the multi-layered #palimpsest story of each #sign as #fadedcolor and weathered #letterforms were #illuminated once more It was amazing to see the examples #remastered in a new and exciting way and the demonstrations by @mikemeyersignpainter and @betterletters throughout the evening were very #inspirational too! Thankyou for such a great showcase! #LDF16 #creativeresidency #adobe #adobeuk #london #art #design #designer #sign #typography #type #signpainting
The cherry on top of the cake! It’s been a brilliant Saturday ❤️?? . . . @Ghostsigns @craigwinslow #lightcapsules #LDF16 #londondesignfestival #londondesign #ghostsigns #ghostsign #lights #beautiful #southwark #takecourage #design #evening #sopretty #icantwaittofindmore #timecapsule #hiddenart #typography #signs #signpainting #designdetail
For enquiries please email email@example.com or call +44 7989 409 046.